I know you have heard it by now somewhere that KiK messenger is for adults only and you tend to believe it. Before you make an opinion about this messenger, I recommend you read this guide as it discusses this issue in detail.
Spoiler: KiK Messenger is rated 17+.
The problem of ‘adult’ content in the recent updates
Before you read this guide, it’s important that you understand how the KiK update works. The developers behind this famous messenger are constantly looking to add new features in the app.
For that reason, new KiK updates roll often and developers add new features in every update. These features change settings.
As of the current update, KiK is reported to have problems implementing the adult content filter. However, the company has ensured that it is constantly looking at ways to solve this problem and the new update will solve this issue.
What are the potential problems when using KiK messenger
When using KiK, there are some problems that make this messenger somewhat unsafe for kids. Here is a list of these common problems.
– The privacy settings in KiK aren’t that great. Bots can easily get in and spread adult content through messages on KiK.
– Spammers can easily deploy porn bots and spread adult content to random usernames. Children could be affected from these bots because of weak spam filter of KiK messenger.
– There are many public groups on KiK that allow people to talk to strangers. This feature can be dangerous for kids, especially when they use KiK in absence of their parents.
– There are some apps hosted inside KiK that are rated 17+. This makes KiK inappropriate for kids.
– Due to various features, KiK is difficult to supervise for parents. Due to this problem, KiK is becoming unpopular among parents.
Problem with KiK usernames
Apart from the problems listed above, KiK has another major problem that makes it dangerous for kids to use this app.
The problem is with the core philosophy behind KiK messenger.
The team that started this app wanted to chat with friends while making it impossible for hackers to steal identities. To achieve their purpose, they invented a login system that would make user of unique usernames.
As a result, KiK doesn’t need your personal information such as phone number or address to create an account. So you can stay anonymous on KiK.
Due to this feature, kids can easily be fooled by bots and hackers. They will never know if they are talking to their real friend or someone else who has somehow got access to that KiK username.
Despite all these issues, KiK is extremely popular with younger adults.
Why is KiK so popular with adults?
KiK messenger has its problems when it comes to kids, especially when parents don’t have time to monitor their kids. However, this instant and free chatting app is insanely popular among younger kids who love being anonymous.
Here are some reasons why this app is immensely popular despite security concerns.
– KiK messenger is free chatting app. Young adults don’t usually have a lot of money and they are always looking for free texting apps.
– KiK messenger is a perfect alternative to conventional text messaging. It provides better feature at zero cost.
– It’s a cross-platform app, which means that users can use their favorite chatting app on all platforms.
– You don’t require a phone number to register a KiK account. This means you can stay anonymous and keep your identity safe while chatting with your friends.
How KiK webpages made this app unsuitable for kids
Despite KiK having potential features to become a hit among users of all age groups, this messenger changed its rating to 17+ in 2012 when the new feature of webpages was introduced. This feature enabled 3rd party developers to add their apps in KiK messenger.
With the introduction of webpages, KiK is definitely for adults only. It’s unsafe for kids.
As of now, kids and young adults don’t know about most of these webpages. However, it won’t be long before they would be able to find out the adult apps.
Here is how this feature has made Kik unsafe for kids.
– The problem with app verification: Although KiK has introduced a new feature that enables developers to add apps in KiK messenger (webpages), the company hasn’t created a proper verification system. As a result, various apps on the KiK market are unverified.
– Inclusion of adult apps: Since KiK messenger updated its rating to 17+, developers can deploy apps containing adult content. Many apps have recently appeared on the messenger that includes inappropriate content for kids.
How to use KiK messenger safely
It sounds as if using KiK messenger means trouble. It’s not like that as long as you use the following precautions.
– Make sure you never tell your credit card number to anyone on KiK messenger even if it’s your friend. If a KiK bot or a webpage KiK app is asking for personal or financial information such as your credit card number, never respond to it. Remove it from your friends and report it as spam.
– Often your trusted bots and friends will share links on KiK chat that will take you to 3rd party web pages. Make sure you open these links carefully and never fill a form or do anything that could possibly reveal your identity.
– If you like chatting to strangers, you have to be very careful. You can chat with everyone on KiK as a stranger since your only ID is a username on KiK.
– Never provide details about your location to anyone when using this app. You never know if the other username security has been compromised. A hacker could be using it to track your location or important data.
– Be careful when you add bots in your account. Bots can offer different types of content, including adult content.
Read about Tagged – social networking app